Jessica Word – Theatre Program

Today, I resumed working in Photshop CS4 in order to update the back of the Department of Theatre program cover. The back of the program lists faculty members and their credentials as well as listing information for donations. For the 2013-2014 year, I needed to remove a few faculty members from the cover and update a few teacher’s titles and donor level changes.

First, I emailed Deb Lejeune and asked her for several pieces of information concerning new professors, title changes, and donor level changes. I also emailed Sam Renner to find out his school information to be placed on the back of the program. Working on the back of the program cover proved to be relatively simple. If anyone has read my past blogs, then one will understand my immense relief by how simple today’s assignment turned out to be. Also, I had to replace several headshots and manually resize them to fit properly on the cover. I am still waiting to hear back from Deb and Professor Renner so hopefully I will be able to finish this assignment first thing in the morning!

Adobe-Photoshop-CS4

Advertisements

Jessica Word – Photoshop Success

Finally, I’m beginning to solve my issues of updating the Department of Theatre program cover. I decided to use a picture taken from Rent and use it as the background of the program cover. I deleted several layers of dated text, graphics, etc. to come up with a more modern and enticing cover.

photo (1)Here is the tentative cover of Theatre on the Park

The final draft of the cover isn’t due until mid-August so I’m waiting for Kern’s approval and hopefully some tips or suggestions on how to improve the cover. Tomorrow, I will begin working on something new for the College of the Arts. Kern assured me that there is still a lot of work to be done before fall semester begins and I am up for the task! I like being able to have such an impact on what the College of Arts is producing to students, faculty, and the general public. It’s very rewarding and I hope to continue working in this office in the fall as a student assistant.

Jessica Word – Photoshop Difficulties Pt. 2

This morning I resumed working on the Department of Theater program. Unfortunately, Kern spent most of the morning in meetings so I spent a lot of time on Google to solve my smart object issues in Photoshop. Finally, I was able to resolve the issue and then moved on to another set  of issues.

I was tasked with updating the program. I could easily update the play information, ticket prices, replace the pictures, etc. but I want to revamp the program. I want to create something interesting and enticing for future patrons. This is my latest problem – I’m not sure where to start. Kern suggested I start with a blank slate, take the same dimensions and updated information, but begin constructing a unique design for the 2013-2014 program. This is easier said than done! However, I am up for the task and am looking forward to creating a design that is entirely my own that will represent the Department of Theater.

photo

Jessica Word- Photoshop difficulties

Last week, I struggled immensely with Photoshop. Kern asked me to redesign the front of a program for the Department of Theater. I was unable to work on this in the Dean’s office so I walked a block away to the NPACE Center to finish this task. She shared the copy of the program cover with me via Google Docs but I needed permission to open it. After she allowed me to access the document, it would not open in Indesign or Photoshop. Professor Hart helped me for almost an hour to try and open the document and begin editing. It was a long and tiring process, for some reason we could not get it to work. Finally, I was able to open it in Photoshop but by that time I had to go to class. The next day, I went back to Kern’s office and worked on her personal laptop to edit the program in Photoshop. This proved to be equally taxing and uneventful. The layers of the program were locked and  not editable.  By the time I was ready to leave for class, I was filled with ideas on how to improve the program but had yet to start. Kern told me that this upcoming week she will sit down and work closely with me to fix this issue. I look forward to be able to edit and update the cover of this program.

mylife

Jessica Word – Working with NPACE

The NPACE Center has been hustling and bustling to keep up with Artbeat this week! Students could be seen carrying cameras, tripods, etc. all around downtown and in the surrounding area.

Tyler and I shot the Sculpture walk Thursday afternoon. I am not from Columbus and am unfamiliar with downtown and its sculptures. This tour was very small which turned out to be a good thing, because the group leader took her time and explained more about each sculpture and the artist. It was very interesting!

After the tour, we came back to the NPACE Center and I archived the footage.

As part of my internship, I need to be familiar with many Adobe programs such as Final Cut Pro X, Audition, Photoshop, etc. In my integrated web design class, we were tasked with creating the home page of a website in Photoshop.  I have worked with Photoshop in the past, so it wasn’t that difficult to pick it up again and create this home page.

My group is working together to create a website for CONTACT, which is also an NPACE Center partner. Our plan is to create a potential website which they will then implement with the help of the NPACE Center.

contact