Jessica Word – Photoshop Difficulties Pt. 2

This morning I resumed working on the Department of Theater program. Unfortunately, Kern spent most of the morning in meetings so I spent a lot of time on Google to solve my smart object issues in Photoshop. Finally, I was able to resolve the issue and then moved on to another set  of issues.

I was tasked with updating the program. I could easily update the play information, ticket prices, replace the pictures, etc. but I want to revamp the program. I want to create something interesting and enticing for future patrons. This is my latest problem – I’m not sure where to start. Kern suggested I start with a blank slate, take the same dimensions and updated information, but begin constructing a unique design for the 2013-2014 program. This is easier said than done! However, I am up for the task and am looking forward to creating a design that is entirely my own that will represent the Department of Theater.

photo

Jessica Word- Photoshop difficulties

Last week, I struggled immensely with Photoshop. Kern asked me to redesign the front of a program for the Department of Theater. I was unable to work on this in the Dean’s office so I walked a block away to the NPACE Center to finish this task. She shared the copy of the program cover with me via Google Docs but I needed permission to open it. After she allowed me to access the document, it would not open in Indesign or Photoshop. Professor Hart helped me for almost an hour to try and open the document and begin editing. It was a long and tiring process, for some reason we could not get it to work. Finally, I was able to open it in Photoshop but by that time I had to go to class. The next day, I went back to Kern’s office and worked on her personal laptop to edit the program in Photoshop. This proved to be equally taxing and uneventful. The layers of the program were locked and  not editable.  By the time I was ready to leave for class, I was filled with ideas on how to improve the program but had yet to start. Kern told me that this upcoming week she will sit down and work closely with me to fix this issue. I look forward to be able to edit and update the cover of this program.

mylife

Jessica Word – COA and NPACE

It’s only Tuesday and I have already completed so many tasks for the College of the Arts and the Department of Theatre! So far this week, I created an Excel spreadsheet in which I compiled the list of 2013-2014 single ticket sales for Seussical and The Cat in the Hat. I updated the COA and Department of theatre Facebook pages with the news of Dr. Becky Becker’s published in article in Review: The Journal of Dramaturgy as well as a sneak peek photo album of  The Cat in the Hat.

Also, I updated the Department of Theatre’s website with details of upcoming productions. I am excited to report that the COA’s website as well as all the departments within the COA will be receiving a design overhaul. Kern is attempting to establish a more cohesive and recognized brand for the College of the Arts which includes all of its departments (Art, Theatre, Communication, Music). I hope to help her in creating a brand for the college. I learned a lot about this last semester in my Into to Public Relations class semester. John Lester, Assistant Vice President of University Relations, spoke to our in class in detail about how he had to rebrand all of Columbus State University. It was a long process but overall, the university has a much more professional and updated look.

college of the arts

Here is the current logo. Hopefully, I will be able to help establish a new brand for the COA!

As far as the NPACE Center is concerned, I am still working on constantly updating both NPACE and the Communication Department Facebook pages. Also, as the intern blog coordinator I am tasked with editing and maintaing the overall appearance of the the blog. I am still looking for the perfect theme for this blog, so more changes are to come!